Monday, June 21, 2010

6-21-10 #1

Hello from Brookly New York!

It was another great week to be a missionary! It feels like a lot happened this week but at the same time like nothing happened at all. Everyday I am amazed at all the miracles I am blessed to see. My faith is not built upon these miracles but rather it is humbling for me that Heavenly Father blesses me to see them and be a part of them.

There is so much I want to write about this week. I'll tell you about some of the neat things we are doing or have done that stood out to me this week.

First, this week Hermana Carney and I get to go to a Jewish wedding! How neat is that? We are really excited. If you are ever able to check the mission blog I heard there was a short story about Hermana Carney, Mullen, and Killpack met a Jewish man. His name is H* and I was able to meet him last week. A few months ago before I got to this area H* saw the sister missionaries on the street and asked if they were mormon. He is a teacher and so he know's some things about the mormons. He wanted to teach us more about Jewish people as well. His only point with visiting him is that he doesn't want us to try and convert him. We don't try and convert anyway, its the spirit. :) We were able to meet with him on Friday and he explained some parts of the wedding to us. It will be on Thrusday. I'm excited. We have permision from our Mission President to go as well.

We had an amazing lesson with one of our investigators, N*. I've written about her before. This was actually the first time I have met with her in her home. We decided we were going to commit her to being baptized and have a specific date for her. The lesson went really well and then we asked her if she would follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized. She said she wants to be baptized, thats not an issue its just that she doesn't feel that she should do it now. I can see how much the advisarty is working on her. I felt the spirit so strongly that I needed to be bold. So...I was. I couldn't believe some of the things that were coming out of my mouth. Wow, the Spirit is real! She has been feeling that she wants to wait for to see if she is going to get back with her boyfriend before she gets baptized. She wants him to baptize her if they get back together but honestly he has A LOT of changing to do in his life before he baptizes anyone. She is also worried about messing up after she is baptized. I'm not exactly sure what was said but the spirit was strong. We talked about not allowing our personal salvation to hang in the hands of anyone else and testified about the truthfulness of the Atonement. She needs prayers. We will be following up with her soon. We are doing what we can to have daily contact with her and help her feel to continue to feel the spirit.

A couple of weeks ago we were invited by a member in the English ward who used to be in the Spanish ward to teach there son before he is baptized in July. They are a very strong family but they wanted there son to experience what it was like to be taught by the missionaries before he was baptized. There name is the C* family. Come to find out she is the Stake Young Womans President. Their family is increadable strong. It was such a testimony to me while in their home of feeling and having the spirit in the home. I could feel it so strongly the entire time there. We were able to go back again to their home this week with the English Sisters when they taught. We ended up being there for a while as she helped us go through our ward list as she use to be the Relief Society President in our ward as well. Sister C* has become one of the greatest friends I have made her in New York. I've only been over to her home twice but have been able to interact with her at church as well. I talked with her a little big about Summer Jam in Chicago and I can feel deep in my heart that after my mission she will be a huge help in getting things started her in NY. She is a friend that I know will still be my friend after my mission.

C*, another investigator is doing so well. She has a testimony of Jesus Christ and told us the other day that she is grateful for us teaching her the right way and how to come closer to Christ. I was blown away. She is amazing. We are going to invite her to be baptized this week. She needs lots of prayers as well. We just found out that her husband doesn't know we've been teaching her.

My Spanish: I am going to do my best to put my trust in the Lord regarding my spanish this week. This Sunday I will be giving my first talk in Spanih. Eek. Actually I am not worried...yet. I know that if I prepare carefully and with the gift of the Holy Ghost that all will be well. I can feel the strength of the Lord regarding my spanish. I need to put greater trust and faith into the Lord. There are many times I do not think I'll understand people talking or be able to speak. Even thought my spanish is VERY rough it is getting a little better.

I love all of you so much. I am brought to tears thinking about how much our Father in Heaven loves us. It is increadable. He know's exaclty what we need, where we need to improve, what are capabilities are individually, and our weaknesses. Regardless He loves us. I know that we must have greater faith and put our trust in the Lord. The Atonement is real and I see it working in others lives and mine every day if we allow it.

With Great Love,

Hermana Banaszewski

No comments:

Post a Comment