Monday, March 8, 2010

3-8-10 #2



Dear Family-

I was just now able to read the letter that Hermana Crandell wrote that I forwarded to you. She was so very kind. I am humbled for the blessing it has been to watch Claire* change the see the spirit working in action.

More and more I am feeling love for the members in our branch. They are increadable. Memebers truly make the difference in the work. We were on the street contacting a genlement before we went into a building. We gave him a pass-along-card and were talking about the Book of Mormon with him, how much it has made a differnce in our lifes and bearing our testimonies with him. Right then Hermana Duerte came up behind us. She reached in and said hello to the man. It made the BIGGEST difference. She brought so much energy to the conversation. She then said, "Did they give you a copy of the Book of Mormon yet?" We hadn't yet. SHe said, "write your number in it" to the man, "Read this and when you have questions call them." She then said some other things which I'm sure were great but they were all in spanish so I'm not exactly sure what it was and then the man left. It was a great testimony to me about how important members are in this work.

I want to tell you more about Jerry*. I'm not exactly sure what else I can say but it was such a neat experience with him. He has spent some time in his life doing things he know's he shouldn't do (if any of this gets put on the blog PLEASE change the name :) thank you) He use to be involved in drugs, drink a lot, and he got involved with a girl he use to like in Columbia but she was married when he started likeing her again. To say the least they moved in together even though she was still married. He had a job before in NY that he would dance in a "Party Bus". It not a good place to be. He told us that while he was living with his ex-girl friend that they were going to a Christian church. More and more he felt that what he was doing was wrong. He decided that he wanted to start living a life of abstinace-no sexual relationship until after marriage. On his own he moved out from his girl-friends home and moved back in with his family in NY. He's doing all he can to not work at the "Party Bus" and find other work. He feels such remorse for the things he has done in his life. What 20 something year old male willingly moveds out and is seeking to become more like God ON HIS OWN??? Can you see how much our Father in Heaven is preparing him for The Gospel? It is increadable. His story goes much more. He feels like such a loser for moving back home and living with his family again after having his own place in Florida with his girl-friend and a great life. I told him that there is no reason he should feel like a loser and that God was very happy with him right now. Hermana Crandell-an AWESOME missionary pulled out Alma 37. We gave him the scriptures about Alma being wracked with pain and torment. He read it silently to himself. His eyes teared up. He felt the spirit. He has such a desire to be better and be clean again. The thought came into my head, the way he can receive the cleanliness that he is looking for and seaking is to be baptised. I didn't want to through baptism at him but I knew it was a prompting of the Holy Ghost. After Hermana Crandell bore powerful testimony I said, "I can see how badly you want to be cleansed from your sins. Threw repentance you are able to feel a release because our Savior Jesus Christ died for us but we need to be baptised." We then talked briefly about baptism. I'm excited to see what is next for Jerry*. I pray that his heart will continually be softened and that he will recognize that the answers to his questions and relief of pain is threw and with this Gospel.

Spanish-Its coming but I need to have greater patience. I am realizing that I am afraid to say something wrong-stupid. In the MTC I said a lot of...not so good things in spanish and now I am holding onto doing that in front of people that matter. It is coming but I need to work harder and speak more. I think I understand about 50% of what is being said and sometimes more-well, sometimes none at all but...the gift of toungs is real. It really is. I pray that it will keep coming. By the end of this transfer-5 weeks-I NEED to be speaking spanish and able to understand most of it. I know that is something I need to be able to do.

I love this work. Being a missionary is increadable. As I seek to be obedient, diligent, and do my best blessings are poured down from heaven. This week I feel Heavenly Father was testing me to see how willing and how much dedication I have with out having everything go how I want them to.

I love all of you so very much. Your letters and e-mails mean THE WORLD TO ME! They really do. THey make the biggest difference in my day, week, and time out here as a missionary.

With all my Heart, I love you,

Hermana Banaszewski

No comments:

Post a Comment