This is a letter written by Hermana Crandell to her parents regarding Claire's* baptism...
Querida Familia!
Wow, I do not know how to start! We had an amazing week this week with Claire* . She was actually Baptized yesterday!!!!!!. Well, anyway, we tried to go see her last Thursday night, but she said that she was going to be really busy because she was helping with the activity with the primary that was going to be friday. We were sad about this because she said over the phone that she had been reading in the Book of Mormon. We were so excited for her. (Hermana Banasweski was really bold with her about two weeks ago and told her that she needed to start reading in the Book of Mormon if she was ever going to find out the truth and know what she needed to do. We gave her a little Book of Mormon that Hermana Banaswski was inspired to give get at the mtc. We marked some scriptures about ten of them and wrote little questions on tags by the scriptures.)When we called her, she said that she had been reading the Book of Mormon last Tuesday, and Hermana Banaskweski asked how her reading was going. She said that she had read three sections and that she was making up for lost time. She also asked her how she felt about it, and she said that she would talk to us later about it. We knew that the Spirit had been working through her. At this time on the phone, we asked here if there was anything that we could do to help her for the Priamay activity that she was doing. She asked us to make cupcakes (48). We told her that it would not be a problem. She was so thankful. We went to the store Thursday night to do the cupcakes for the actividy. We finished while we were studying in the morning. We then got a text from her that said that the activity was canceled because of the snow( 8 inches) like 20 minutes after we finished the cupcakes and that we needed to call her. We called her and then asked if we could come over that night. We were so happy that she said that we could visit here Friday night. We got there, and she told us that she thought that we were going to be in all day because of the snow and so she felt bad about giving us the assignment to make the cupcakes, but she thought we were going to be inside. We told her , "no" we are usually out, but we gave some to her and her family, and then we just saved the rest to give the priamary Sunday. So we were talking to her a long while about random things Friday night at the lesson. She seemed like she had something on her mind that she would like to talk about, but she love to tell us the latest news.Then finally, we asked her how her reading was going. She went to go look for the small Book of Mormon in her bag. Her husband siad, what are you looking for. She brought out the book. He had not known that she had been reading this last week since we gave it to her. She said well, and that she had a few questions and thought some things were very interesting. She said that one verse of scripture really touched her heart. It was Alma 32:21 about faith that we had marked (we both felt like we needed to mark it in her little Book of Mormon) She said that it really made her realize that Faith is not to know everything, but to have a desire to believe. She told us that this is what President Perez told her about faith and that she did not have to know everything to be baptized. She started crying, and I knew that the Spirit had touched her heart and answered her pray. She asked if there was anything that she could do to know if she was ready for baptims because she felt like she really did not know. I read with her Mosiah 18:8-10 and told here that with her good heart and with her example that she was more prepared than anyone that I have ever known. She said to her husband, "Well I guess you will have to be ready to plan a party." He said, "Yes I will be ready when you are. Conversion takes a long time, and it all does not have to happen all at one. Baptism is like the beginning." He said that he would be ready anytime that she was to have a party. Claire* and Hermana B. and I looked at each other, and we knew that she ment that she wanted to be baptized now. Juan* just kept talking about in the future when she was ready. Just then, she looked at him, and said, " Did you hear what I just said?" He said yes, but we knew that it was a moment thta he was just not grasping that his wife said that she wanted to be baptized right away and that he needed to be ready. He then said, "I heard you, but I was so taken back." Reality did not register. I then asked her when she would like to have the party. She said, "tomorrow" She wanted to be baptized the next day. She realized that she had waited long enough. Well, then Juan* said that they could not do it on 'tomorrow because he had a stake meeting that he was going to where he would be receiving the Mel. Priestood. (He had been inactive until his wife helped him go back to church about 2 years ago after the birth of their son Gabe*.) He wanted to be the one to baptize her. It is amazing the timing of things. Sister Twitchell and I knew that she was ready. We felt it. We had so many spiritual experiences of the lessons that we needed to teach her since December. Juan* pleaded before then for the missionaries to teach her because he did not want to give up. He wanted to try one more time. He was desperate. So through divine inspiration, We knew that we had to visit her starting in December. Then SIster Twitchell and I had a strong feeling that Claire* was ready and prepared, but Juan* was not and that he needed to have the faith and prepare himself. The next time that we went over, he stopped us in the middle of a lesson and then he said, "I just had an epiphany)He said, "I need to be the one to change. If I ever expect her to. He said that he need to live the gospel more and he needed to be the example in the house and that he need to share things that he learns and his testimony with her. He said he was afraid before to talk and share with her thinking that it was off limits, but he knew then that he had to change. So, he began changing his life to be worthy to help her accept the gospel too. I have seen such a big change in him as well of the last few months. Well anyway, about two weeks ago, we were talking with him at church and he said that he was going to get an interivew to get the Mel. Priestood so that he could be worthy and ready to baptize and confirm her. He said he did not know when she would be baptized, but he wanted to be ready> He said that it could be a week or years, but he wanted to be ready for it. Well he got the priesthood on Saturaday night- one night before her baptism, and now he can confirm her next week. This familiy is amazing!!!! I love them so much. I would love to come back to see them in the Temple in a year. We have been really busy the last few days making phone calls to make sure everything went well and was planned. It happnend wonderfully. Claire* wanted her mother in law to speak at the baptism and I told her as we did the program that she would have to tell her monther-in law about the baptism. She called her and told her that she was going to be baptized and tears flowed down her face. She then gave the phone to me because she could not talk anymore. I started talking to her mother-in-law on the phone. I knew that she was crying to and I told her that it was true and asked her if she would give the talk on baptism. She said that she would. With the greatest emotion in her voice she said thank you to us as missionaries form the bottom of her heart of the work that we had been doing. At this moment. The tears flowed from me as well, and I am so thankful to be a missionary. There was no where else I would have rather been than to here that over the phone when she told her that she was going to be baptized. The Baptismal service was very special almost the whole ward came. The primary sang songs for her. Sister Nelson came (Our misson President's wife). Juan* gave his testimony and it was beautiful. He said that she was the example to him. And he is so thankful that he choose her to be his companion in life, and now he can have her forever. (The met in Junior High, and he said that he always loved her since then but it was not until college that she paid attention to him:) It was the sweetest momemnt to realize that their family can now make the steps to be a forever family. I know that there were angels in the room yesterday of many generations to come. This is the work of angels. I love it so much. I am so thankful for the opportunity to be here in Flushing, espcially with Herman B. Because I could have never done anything without her help. SHe is an amazing missionary, and I know that she had a great role in her conversion as well. She needed to be there at that time with me now. I love her to pieces. She has become a great friend.
Oh, and by the way. We have a mission blog now. It is www.nynysouthmissin.blogspot.com) You can see if it works if not just google. New York South Mission Blog. There is a cool video about pictures in the mission. that the missionaries did.
Monday, March 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment