Hello All...again :)
My companion needed to go with another missionary to visit a family they use to teach so I'm on exchanges for the first time :) and Hermana Stephens wasn't able to do e-mail earlier so we are doing it now. How fun. I might actually be able to write some of the things I've been wanting to for some time.
OH! Before I forget! Go on to www.newyorksouthmission.blogspot.com Sister Nelson, the mission Presidents wife put together this blog for parents and friends of missionaries in this mission. I think this blog can be linked to mine as well. Rachel would know. I can't get on it but you can! :)
OK, so right after e-mail before I had two really neat experiences. This will give you a glimpse of my life. It sums up a lot of the experiences I've been having. I love LOVE being a missionary. Its incredible. I love LOVE LOVE people. I love being with them, getting to know them, hearing about there lives, there struggles, EVERYTHING. Its...I'm a people person for sure but I LOVE...ahh, its great. Ok, so after e-mail today we go on the bus to head to a combined zone activity (Which has cause me to not really have time to write letters today so...whoever I usually write to, I'm so sorry) So, we finally get on a bus. Hermana Crandell isn't feeling very well but away we went. We never sit next together but when we get on we look for people that might speak Spanish and try to talk to as many people as we can by not sitting together. So I sat down and started talking to this one man, meaning I said hello and how are you and that's about it in Spanish lol. Then I gave him a flier for free English class. Its a GREAT way to help people come into the church plus its a way we are able to serve the people. Its awesome and a lot of people really appreciate it. So he got off the bus the next stop. There were a couple of stops where I wasn't talking to any one and there really wasn't anyone around me. Well the further we got deeper into downtown flushing more and more people got on the bus. A really sweet-kind woman got on the bus and sat next to me. She spoke English. You never really know what language they speak...EVER. Today has been really sunny so I commented on the weather. I asked her if she lived in the area, she said no that she was just visiting her sister here, she was from Long Island. She was about 55ish and from India. We started talking more and she opened up completely to me. I asked her how she liked New York and all the other questions I could. She moved here 10 years ago. Her and her husband had come to New York to visit her sister. It was one of there first vacations after there children were grown up and older. When they were here they were in an accident or something and from what I understood her husband died. I could be wrong about that, I know, important detail but...it was on a loud bus. We talked about difficulties in life and why life is so hard sometimes. I testified to her about how the Gospel has brought me so much peace and hope in my life during difficult times. She asked me where I was from and what I was doing in New York. I love that :) I said, "I'm here because I'm a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" We then talked about what that means. She asked me what kind of work I do :) So I told her. We teach people that want to know more about the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, we serve, we visit members, and so on. We talked about the emptiness she feels in her life and how you have to find purpose in your life to keep going, she said, "Life isn't about working and making money, its about what your doing." Oh, my face had one of the biggest smiles on it while being very humbled that I have been blessed with this opportunity. I can't believe that I of all people have been called by a living Profit to serve and preach the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ to the people in New York. Anyway, this woman was so neat! She turned to me again and said, "Thank you for talking with me, our conversation really helped me." I testified to her about why where here-on earth, where where going, and what we need to do to over come our difficult times. I told her we have missionaries in Long Island that could come visit and talk with her more but, like most people, she said she was extremely busy and doesn't have time. She wanted to but just didn't have time. She did say that she would look on Mormon.org though. I told her she would find a lot of answers to her questions on that sight and would feel fuller-less empty from it. It was really neat. Then we said good bye with a smile and off she went. I said a prayer in my heart for her that she will come to know of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and that when she hears it again that her heart will be prepared to receive it. She was so neat. This doesn't happen all of the time, conversations like this but I'll never know if they could happen if I don't talk to people every time I have the opportunity. Life as a missionary is horrible when I become prideful or fearful to talk to others. When such happens is when being here is really hard. I need to continue to have faith and work hard, overcoming my fears knowing Christs name is worn on over my heart, this is HIS work, not mine.
After we got of the bus we got on the #7 train. I love being in New York. We use public transportation like never before. We got on the train and Sister Crandell really wasn't feeling well. So we sat together for the 3rd time ever. The woman sitting next to her spoke Spanish so she tried to give her a pass-along-card to receive The Lamb of God. Usually people take the care even if they are just being nice but she shut her down pretty hard. I felt bad for her because she really didn't feel well but was trying any way and doing her best. She turned to me and said, "Its always hard when people don't even listen to you and just reject you right away." I said, "Yes it is but whats worse is that she didn't reject you, she rejected the message, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If it was you she rejected that would be fine but it was the message. Don't feel bad." She shook her head and said, "Your right, hopefully they have another chance." After sitting in silence for one stop more people got on the train. A young man got on that I KNEW spoke Spanish. Another person came and sat next to Sister Crandell because the woman before left. I knew I needed to talk with him. So...I took a deep breath and said. "HOLA!" He smiled and said hi back, I asked how he was doing and he said good. Thats usually my test to know if they really do speak Spanish or not, the only problem is that about all I know how to say too :) jk not really. I told him I'm learning Spanish but its really bad right now :) I then asked if he lived in this area which he did. I gave him a flier for free English class and let him read it because I didn't know what else to say. I then gave him a pass-along-card for the Book of Mormon. I was about to say, its another testament of Jesus Christ but he read it out loud on the card. This whole time Sister Crandell was talking to the person sitting next to her on the other side. I told him to go on the website-mormon.org and that to receive a free copy he just had to call the number on the card. He then looked at it for a while and I stopped talking to him because I didn't know what else to say in Spanish. Some people got off the train and he sat down in front of us. I told Hermana Crandell what I did and she said, "Good job." I told her she could say more because I said all I could in Spanish, lol. We sat there watching him. She was waiting for him to look up to start talking but he never did. He sat here reading the pass-along-card over and over, he flipped the card and then looked at the picture. He kept doing that. As he sat there deeply looking at the card and English Class flier I could see he was feeling the spirit and felt something very strongly. It was amazing. I turned to Hermana Crandell and said, "Wow, he feels it doesn't he?" She agreed. We could see the spirit touch him and he intently looked at the card. He looked up and his eyes were filled with tears. I know the spirit touched his heart. All of us had to change trains and we tried to talk with him again but he got on a different train. It was so neat. I then prayed that he would come in contact with the church again and be able to learn more and that his heart would be prepared and ready when he does.
Then we arrived at the church building and had our zone activity and now I'm e-mailing you :) So that's about how my days are but today has seemed to be extra good. I hope all of you know how much I truly love you. I think about people back home and my friends buts is a good thing. It hasn't been distracting but instead I appreciate everyone more. I love getting letters and am so grateful for all those that write me. In the MTC I took for granted DearElder.com and didn't write everyone back that has written me but now I am, I will and I jump for joy with every letter I receive. I hope those I didn't write back to in the MTC will forgive me.
This week I have really realized that I need to have greater faith. I do not trust myself as much as I need to. As a missionary when I do not trust what I need to do I am not trusting the guidance of the Spirit. This week I am working on ACTING. Acting and trusting the spirit and myself more. I am also working on loving more. I love the people here so much. The branch is amazing. We are trying to work more with the members to help them support the recent converts more and get excited about missionary work. As evil as New York can be there are some REALLY good people here. I have found that overall most people have good intentions and are nice. There are many people that don't want to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ, ignore us, yell at us and so forth but over all people are kind and genuine. Again, how blessed I am and feel for the blessing of being called on a mission and to New York of all places. I love all the people. I love all of you so very much. Does my heart ache for those I miss and love? Of course, it should I think because it shows real love but at the same time I know KNOW this exactly where I need to be, where the Lord needs me to be.
I love all of you so very much. I hope all is well. Please let me know how everything is going and how everyone is. Again, I really will not be able to write much or any letters this week but know of my love.
Love,
Hermana Banaszewski
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment