Monday, July 12, 2010

7-12-10


Hello Family,

Where do I even begin? I feel like my mind is spinning a little and have so much in it that I want to tell you about.

The first thing is that miracles DO exist. WOW, do they ever! My life couldn't be better. Well, it always can be but its been pretty good lately. I'll be honest though, there have been a couple days this week where I thought I was going to die of exhaustion and stress. Hermana Reed, my new companion and I have been working extremely hard. It has been one of the best weeks of my mission. It has been interesting to me to see that some of the hardest situations, days, weeks, moments usually seem to the the best...once they are over.

Hermana Reed-She is awesome. She is so much more ahead of the game that me when I first came out. Her Spanish is really good and she has such a great desire to work hard. This area needs exactly that, good hard work and we're ready to do our best together. She is from Alpine, Ut. She is actually from the same ward Doug and Debbi Alen are from. She grew up in Saudi Arabia until she was 16 and then moved to Utah. Her father works for an oil company there. There are 4 boys and 4 girls in her family. She went to Utah state for 2...I think 2 years. She is 22, a lot taller than me, great worker.

My birthday-It was a great day, a BUSY day. I actually wasn't really able to celebrate my birthday at all, NO TIME. We had to take Hna Carney to transfer meetings and be there early for my trainers meeting, then we had transfers, a surprise meeting after for the trainers, shopping to help our new missionaries get settled in. Before we had 6 sisters living in the same pad. Now we only have 4 because they opened two new areas for English sisters and sister De La Mare and I are both training. Its been fun and EXTREMELY busy. I can't express though how grateful I am for all of the cards, packages, and LOVE that I receive for my birthday. This last week has been one of the busiest of my mission, maybe even my entire life and the love from home has carried me through. I may sound like a sap but...I honestly felt so much love that I cried. Its not necessarily the items in the packages, which were PERFECT, but the love felt, the thought put into it. I can not express enough thanks for all of those who sent letters, packages, said a prayer for me, or just even thought about how I was doing. Thank you.

So, miracles! Ready? I don't know if I'll be able to describe them how I'd like but wow! First this week has wore my OUT! I have felt so much strength and love. When I wake up every morning I feel like I've been hit by a train but after I pray and get going, be obedient, and work, I feel a strength and happiness beyond my own. Do miracles happen, yes and I truly believe being able to wake up every morning is a miracle as well.

On Friday we went to teach C*. I have been so concerned about teaching her with out Hermana Carney. Last Sunday we set a baptismal date for her for July 25th. She has a strong testimony of the church, believes and is GRATEFUL for Joseph Smith, knows the Book of Mormon is true and...she is amazing. She also stopped drinking coffee however she is still living with a man whom she calls her husband but is not legally married to. With that background let me take a step back. The Missionary Department has created 8 new lessons for missionaries. Preach My Gospel, from what I understand is not changing but we as missionaries are being taught how to go back to the basics. On Tuesday after transfer meeting the leadership of the mission, including trainers had a special meeting and President Nelson is teaching us these lessons in workshops. We also had a meeting on Friday and will have two full day meetings this Wed and Thurs and have day on Fri to teach us all 8 lessons. One of the points from the lessons was the role of prayer in the conversion process.

After going over this lesson, role playing, praying and thinking much about C* I felt that we needed to go over prayer again along with scripture study. Going back to the basics. I thought, "If she is suppose to continue to learn, grow, feel the spirit, with my lack of Spanish and teaching abilities she really needs to be taught from the Lord and know how to do that." In all of our lesson I know she has been taught by the spirit but more then ever I felt that relying on the spirit to teach was all I could do. Hermana Reed was wonderful as well. She even helped me with words that I could not spit out my mouth. She has a great vocabulary in Spanish. In the morning all of our study was directed to teaching C* and with the spirit. To make a long story short, I have never experienced such an amazing moment before. The spirit was so strong. The gift of tongues is real. I can not even begin to describe all of the things that came out of my mouth in Spanish but it was incredible. Honestly I'm not even exactly sure what was said. The lesson was so amazing that there is no way that we could even say "we" taught, it was clearly the spirit. We asked her about her desire to be baptized again. I have never seen someones desire to be baptized so strong as her was at that moment. She cried and there was a fire in her eyes. She said that if she could she would be baptised right now. She wants it so badly but descibed how she can't be if she is living in sin as she is. She has such an amazing understanding of everything which is incredible. That is another way we know she is being taught by the spirit and not us with our lack of speaking abilities. She talked about going about being baptized on the Lords time and not hers. I promised her that the Lord wants her to be baptized now. C* has so much faith. She and us have no idea how she will be able to be baptized. We talked about her moving out with her children a well. I have no idea how that would work out but regardless the lesson was amazing. We left with her a promise that if she reads in the Book of Mormon EVERY day and prays morning and night that she will know what she needs to do to be able to be baptized and that a way will be provided for her. We went back and taught her again on Sunday. She has been reading and praying. I felt so much joy when she told me she was reading. It shows that she really does have a desire to be baptized and is doing what she can right now to get there. We talked about the importance of Faith and Works. We read 1 Ne 3 together and talked about Nephi being commanded to get the plates. It was a great comparison to her life of not knowing what to do or how to accomplish something but that as we walk with faith and work hard the Lord will provide a way. I know that is true. A way is always provided, it just might not be our way.

We are doing all we can to exert the faith required for C* to be baptized. I am working hard on having greater faith.

Another Miracle, yesterday we had an appointment with a less-active family that last transfer Hermana Carney and I tried and TRIED to visit but were never able to. We knocked on their door but no one was home. We waited for a while and then out from the elevator came the husband. We were able to set up an appointment with him. It was amazing that poof! we had an appointment. Last night we went over for the apt but some of their friends showed up unexpectedly so we re-scheduled for tonight. Instead of just going home and being happy that we were able to set up another apt with them we decided to knock some of the building. Our 4th door was a miracle. His name is O*. Hermana Reed started off by introducing us and talking about the family. He LISTENED! I was amazed. The soft thought came into my mind, "Hermana Banaszewski, you've been praying for miracles, do you believe in miracles, this man is a miracle for you." We continued to talk with him. The conversation moved to Christ. He has such a strong testimony of Jesus Christ. Its hard to describe this experience because I felt SO MUCH guidance from the Holy Ghost. Over and over soft and gentle thoughts would come into my mind while we were talking. I would hold onto that thought and do all I could to listen intently to him as he spoke Spanish. Could you believe it, I understood almost everything he said. Wow, I was...wow. He talked about the after life, a place of paradise and bondage, he talked about the importance of families. There were couple times I felt I needed to say things really boldly and I did my best. I can not believe the gift of tongues. I was able to speak Spanish! We talked about prophets. I testified boldly that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the same church Christ established when he was on the earth and that by way of Joseph Smith the Church has been restored once again to the earth. The conversation was incredible. After he talked some about life before and after this life I looked him in the eye and only with the guidance of the spirit told him that he is ready for or message and needs to learn more about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. He was taken back and the conversation continued. We are going to go back on Tuesday and teach him more. I would not be surprised if he accepted the invitation to be baptized. The one problem is that he is going to Peru until Aug. I know O* will be baptized some day and soon. I have never sweat as much as did at that moment. I felt sweat dripping from all over my body. The gift of the spirit is incredible. I would be nothing and could do nothing with out it.

This week has been hard because there has been so much to do. I am doing my best to be the best example I can be for Hermana Reed. I have felt the hands of the Lord carry me through this difficult but AMAZING time in my life. I recognize that I must continue to rely FULLY on the spirit and not the arm of flesh. I must also recognize the spirit and guidance from our Father in Heaven and give thanks for the miracles that surround me. How grateful I am for our Savior Jesus Christ who is able to make up for the great lack I have in my life and in this work. I know the Atonement is real and I am doing all I can to apply it in my life.

I love all of you so much. You mean so much to me. Your prayers and love is felt here. I need it so much. I love you.

Much Love,

Hermana Banaszewski

No comments:

Post a Comment