I got pooped on by a pigeon while teaching someone at the park. It was really funny. I was having a super hard day but things just seemed to be getting better. It was funny because I could see my attitude changing to where it needed to be regardless of what was happening all around me.
Hna Winfield and I waiting for a train.
One picture is from the Jamaica Chapel. Some of the class rooms have windows that open up to a food court. One sister missionary said, "No wonder our member have a hard time keeping the Sabbath day" Some of the church buildings here are really funny.
We made pupusas with one of our investigators, Hermana Pa*. She is from Honduras. She is SOOO neat! I love that woman so much!
A couple got sealed in the Manhattan Temple and we sung at there reception. The spirit was so strong. Their reception ended up being a fireside and then eating afterword...but Hispanic style meaning TONS AND TONS of food. We sang a compilation of Families can be Together Forever, I am a Child of God, and Love at Home. We had a missionary from another area come in and play the piano for us. We also sang with the Elders in our ward. It was so good. When we were done singing I thought, "There were angels singing with us." There were a lot of non-members there that were family members.
Hello Family!
How is everyone doing? I always feel like I never have enough time to e-mail or express myself the way I would like. I will do my best this week. This week has been really good. I realized last week when I got of the computer that I was a real downer. I'll be honest, I've been having one of the hardest times on my mission but at the same time I am learning a lot and being tested like crazy. The most common thing I do and I think most people do as well is to think, "What am I doing wrong, or what did I do to cause all of these things to happen?" Sometimes we are just being blessed with trials so we can learn and grow, sometimes it is because of other people, and other times...I don't know but we learn a lot don't we :) A quote that has helped me out this week was, "Sometimes the Lord through our trials and challenges allows us to hit rock bottom just so we know that the rock at the bottom is Him." This week really has been a lot better. It has been a very busy week and I wish I could describe all of the miracles I saw and experienced.
This week I've been a little sick. However I've seen the blessings from heaven come down. I've been given strength when I didn't think I could do it. On Saturday we had a street sweep again and I felt like I was myself again. Even though in the morning I felt horrible I knew we needed to go. We weren't able to stay the entire time but while we were there I didn't feel sick or tired at all. We were able to get two new investigators in the 20 or 30 min. we were there. How incredible. It may seem small but to me they are miracles. It is difficult to describe or write because they are more of feelings and things working within that creates the miracle.
I wanted to tell you a little more about Richmond Hill. I know I haven't said much because I've been so consumed with those things I've been struggling with. Richmond Hill is awesome. It is like living under the L train in Chicago. There are little shops everywhere. There are people from every country you've ever heard of plus from places you never knew existed. There are a lot of Indians here as well. In Brooklyn most of the members were from Mexico. Here there is a great balance. People are from El Salvador, Ecuador, Honduras ( A lot of people from there), Mexico, Guatemala, just everywhere. It is so fun. This Friday is our, "Dia de los Pieses" The day of countries-kind of. Every country is represented in a ward activity and people make food and they dance their traditional dances. I'm REALLY looking forward to it. OK-I only have 10 more min-
The members here are incredible. Last night we had an appointment with Hermana Pa*. She is so neat. We have been working with their 28 yr old son as well. They are strong in the church. I have seen so many changes in both of them. Hermana Pa* hasn't been to open with us but last night she opened up. She expressed her love and...it was just one of those moments. On Tuesday we had an apt with Ke* and Me*. They are both from the DR. She served a mission there 13 yrs ago and he is a new member. Their home felt like heaven on earth. They cooked traditional DR food for us...it was so good! I keep asking everyone to teach me how to make it so when I go home I wont miss it because I can make it myself. The people here are amazing. More and more they have my heart. I have been study charity this week and praying for more charity. I have felt an increase as I have been studying and praying for it. What makes my mission is not the amount of people that accept the gospel but the people, whether they be members, investigators, or less-actives. The people make this work what it is suppose to be. I feel so much love for them, more than I ever thought possible. It takes work on our ends as missionaries and we have to put ALL-ALL we have into it but it is ALWAYS worth it in the end.
I've seen a huge change in my attitude this last week. A test of that for me was when I got pooped on by that pigeon. lol. The work is becoming what it should be and has been in the past. I don't know exactly what the trials have been but those things that I can change and improve have been happening. What a process! I've come closer to the Lord through my trials.
This week we also had a couple in our Ward be sealed! There are not many people here who are sealed or who have gone through the Temple at all. We could not go but we were able to help with their reception and sing for them. That is the long range goal.
Our investigators are doing well. The Mi* family is progressing. Hna Winfield had a great idea to teach a "silent lesson" with them. We went into there home and said hello and then told them what we were going to do. We had scriptures, songs, and questions all typed out and all we did was hang up the paper and give the lesson with out talking. They had to write in journals we got them as they went through the lesson. It went really well. Hno Mi* has a date to be baptised on the 24th. We're not sure if he is going to be able to make that date or not but we're trying. They have been investigating the church for over a year now. Their 16 yr daughter is a member. They always come to church and are stronger than some members here. Hna Pa*, the one we made pupusas with is the same way. We went into the lesson really focusing on Hno Mi* feeling that Hna Mi* isn't ready yet. When we left we felt that the lesson was more for Hna Mi* than Hno. :) We could see that she felt the spirit and it gave her more of a chance than usual to participate. Usually Hno Mi* talks and rambles.
I feel myself changing. I know one reason why I have been struggling so much is because I have not been allowing the Lord to be in charge. Hna Winfield and I talked for a long time about that. We are really learning and growing a lot together. I know that both her and I need to be here at this time. The work is progressing, not the way we would like it to be but the way the Lord would have it done. We have begun working with the Relief Society President and Bishop more. About 75% of our ward is in active. The members that come are absolutely amazing! There is a lot of work to get done here and I LOVE it!!!
Family, I know this is the work of the Lord and not my own. I am learning more than I could ever describe and doing my very best. Oh! :) I gave a talk on Sunday! In SPPPPANISH!!! My Spanish is still pretty bad but...it is there when it needs to be. Hna Winfields Spanish is amazing so with us together we do OK. I know that the only way to TRULY be happy is with the true and full gospel of Jesus Christ. How grateful I am to have what is most important. It is now our responsibility to share that with others and invite others to come unto Christ. Thank you for all of your prayers. I have felt them this week. I love all of you so very much. Have a great week! I'll be praying for you.
With Much Love,
Hermana Banaszewski
P.S.
This is Hermana Winfields info to link her blog to mine or share it with other people. The e-mail address is her mothers if you can't find it.
www.SisterRachelWinfield.Blogspot.com
jmwinfield@msn.com



No comments:
Post a Comment