Wednesday, March 23, 2011

3-21-11





The Martinez family

Hey Family,

How is everyone doing? Things are going well for me. So, I'm officially serving in Jamaica with Hermana Fifield. We are living in the same apt where I was before which means there are SIX Sister Missionaries crammed into one New York apt. Right now our bunk beds are pushed up our sliding glass door out where our desks were. We sleep in the kitchen/eating area. Its been fun. The first couple days were a little rough because we didn't have beds or enough desks or dressers. I turned our utility closet into our clothes closet by putting a shower curtain pole in there. Its been an adventure for sure but really fun. Also leaving in the same apt means that Hna Fifield and I have to travel about 30 min by subway before we are even in our area. I'm ok with it though. It has been good because I have been able to still help Hna Porter who has been a little overwhelmed with everything going on in Richmond Hill. Right now things are booming there! I love those people more than I can even describe and miss them terribly along with Hna Porter.

Hermana Fifield is my new companion. She is awesome. She was in the advanced Spanish district in the MTC so she is doing pretty good in that category. She is from Idaho/Utah (She moved back and forth) and has 10 brothers and sisters. Crazy hu? She is # 9 and also has a brother on a mission in Colombia. Its been really interesting training again and right after another. Sometimes I forget that I haven't taught her something or told her about something important because I feel like I just told it to her when it was really Hna Porter :) Its been really different training as well because we were blinded in or whitewashed into Jamaica, meaning that there was not any Sisters there before and we have to figure everything out ourselves. There are two Elders still in Jamaica who are also training new missionaries. So in total there are six missionaries in Jamaica. The Elders have been good at helping us out when they can but we are really starting all over. Oh! More about Hna Fifield: She studied art for two years, can play the piano professionally, the branch LOVES that because they are no longer singing acapela, umm...she loves chocolate and is overall just an awesome person. She wants to study psychology after her mission possibly, and she thinks a lot. Sometimes she reminds me of Amy as well. :)

Jamaica is a really fun place. There is NO place like Jamaica. Sometimes it feel like we are walking through a den of sin and iniquity but in the midst of it all we find some of the most humble and loving people. Jamaica is FULL of people from EVERYWHERE!!! We had a street sweep on Saturday there and I think I talked to people from about 30 different places all within 2 hours.

This week we have been working on figuring out the area, getting a taste of how the work has been done here in the past and what needs to get done now. Our area is awesome but it needs a lot of organization and hard work. We have one investigator so far, A* Ri*. She wants to be baptized but can not because she is living with someone, the father of her two girls. From what I understand she is at the point where she either needs to move out, have him move out, or get married. We were finally able to meet with her last night. She is an incredible woman. Instantly we could see and feel that she is carrying many heavy burdens. She looked as though she was about to cry when we came in last night. We both instantly felt the great love that Heavenly Father has for one of His precious daughters. A* is working hard to change her life. She use to drink very heavily and have many other problems. She has been all of the missionary lessons and lately the missionaries have been going over and reading the Book of Mormon with her, kind of how we have been doing with the Mi* Family. While there we expressed how much Heavenly Father loves her. With in the first five min of us being there all of us were filled with feelings of how much He truly loves her and crying. After we talked about Heavenly Fathers love and how we can feel it more through reading in the Scriptures, prayer, and attending church (Which she is going regularly) we then read in Mosiah 4 with her. We ended up only being there for about 30 min but it was exactly what needed to happen. The spirit was there.

The members in Jamaica are really excited to have Sister Missionaries back in their ward. We are going to do our best to love all of them up and work hard. There are some really great members in this tiny branch. The Branch President and his family are incredible. They have a daughter who served a mission in Phoenix two years ago and a 6 yr old. Hna Martinez is amazing. The first night we met her while doing our best to plan and organize at the church, she came up to us and gave us one of the biggest most passionately filled Hispanic hugs I think I've ever received. I am really excited for this Friday because they have invited us over, along with the other missionaries to eat. Our ward mission leader seems to be pretty great as well. Overall the branch is really great. The only problem is most of the members live in one of the Elders area. That just means we need to get more members in our area :)

We have been working really hard to organize, plan, and get our member work going. Today I bought a HUGE thing of cookie dough and we are just going to love these members up as MUCH as we possibly can. One thing that has really stood out to me is obedience as well. That is one thing that we need to step up in this area. I'm excited. There are things that need to be changed while not stepping on any ones toes but it has been really good. It has been hard to not go out and work the pavement but I know as we carefully plan and work SMART that we will better be able to understand where the Lord would have us work in His vineyard. So, that is Jamaica! I am excited to be here, we have a lot to do and at the same time we are trying to figure out what to do. There is one Elder, Elder Mendoza who has been a huge help with all of this. He was blinded in to Jamaica two transfers ago and he has been doing his best to help us out.

It has defanatly been a different pace going from working in Richmond Hill to Jamaica. I know that is exactly where I need to be and who I need to be with. It is humbling. I pray that I can do my best and if that is not enough that the Atonement will be applied. I have been thinking a lot about becoming a consecrated missionary. It continues to be a quest of mine. I love this work. It is hard but it is worth it. I have never felt so much joy. Sunday Mo* was confirmed a member of the Church and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. It is incredible to see people change, to see miracles and know they are so great they are beyond the power of man.

How merciful is our Father in Heaven? Lately the thought of how much He loves us has been in my mind. When we understand the immensity and power that comes from such love we change, we act differently, our desires change. Our charge is to help others to feel that love.

This week should be fun. On Wed we have a leaders meeting and all of the trainies get to come as well. So Hna Fifield, Hna Porter, and I will be able to go to that together this week. We also have our Presidents interview on Thursday and then a lot of planning :)

I think that is about it for this week. I know Heavenly Father has greatly blessed me. I love being a missionary. I know that God lives and that He is our Father in Heaven. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is simple and we need not complicate it. Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. I know the Atonement of Jesus Christ is real and by Christ we can grow, improve, change, and progress. I love my life, even when its hard. I love all of you very much. I pray all of you have a great week and can feel the love of our Father in Heaven.

Con Amor,

Hermana Banaszewski

No comments:

Post a Comment